30/10/2008

Hoax Bombs Highlight Parade Tension

The first of two Belfast city centre bomb hoaxes was yesterday said to have coincided with a meeting between senior police officers and the NI Parades Commission at its headquarters.

The meeting was to discuss the planned Army homecoming parade through the city this weekend - with traffic around the city centre being disrupted after police sealed off Bedford Street in response to the first of two alerts.

Just after 3.15pm police received a report that a suspicious object had been left at Windsor House, the home of the Parades Commission, the British-Irish Joint Secretariat, the European Commission and the Courts Service.

Staff and visitors in the building were told to evacuate as Army technical officers searched for the object, later described by police as a hoax.

However, the street was sealed off for a second time following another security alert after 7pm last night. This was also declared a hoax a short time later.

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister Gordon Brown has pledged his support to the armed forces' Belfast parade.
News Image
Speaking in London on Wednesday he told the House of Commons: "Our armed forces deserve the support of every community from which they come," Mr Brown said.

"Where there have been parades in different cities and towns across this country, not only have they been peaceful, but large numbers of people have turned out because they want to give support to our troops and ensure that they have the confidence of the British people."

NI First Minister Peter Robinson had earlier asked the Prime Minister to recognise the work of troops from both communities in Northern Ireland and also pressed the Prime Minister about Sunday's Sinn Fein counter-demonstration, describing the protest as "preposterous".

However, there are mounting fears that the NI Parades Commission decision to allow both marchers and protestors on the streets at the same time will be "extremely difficult for the PSNI to police", as numerous dissident republican groups have also vowed to hold illegal marches into the city.

Speaking yesterday after emerging from an hour of separate talks with the Parades Commission - before the bomb alerts - South Belfast SDLP MLA Carmel Hanna said that the Commission could not leave the PSNI to police things as they stood.

(BMcC)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 March 2020
Eastern Airways Saves Belfast-Southampton Route
Flights from Belfast City Airport to Southampton have been saved by Eastern Airways. The airline stepped in to fulfil the busy route after announcing on Monday that it was creating a six-times weekly Belfast to Teeside International Airport flight. The daily Southampton flights are now available for booking and will begin on Monday 23 March.
12 March 2020
Coronavirus: BCC To Hold Special Meeting
Belfast City councillors are to convene in a special meeting to assess the growing threat of coronavirus. It comes after it emerged that protection measures are to be stepped up in the Republic of Ireland, with all schools, colleges and childcare facilities to close. A total of 20 cases of the virus have been confirmed in Northern Ireland.
16 March 2020
Belfast City Marathon Postponed
Organisers of the Belfast City Marathon have took the decision to postpone the race and following half marathon fixture in light of the coronavirus outbreak. The marathon, originally due to take place on Sunday 03 May, will now be held on Sunday 20 September 2020.
27 February 2012
Woman Charged With Firearm Possession
A woman has been charged with possession of a firearm following a police search in west Belfast. PSNI discovered a suspected firearm at a house in Norglen Parade early on Saturday morning. The 27-year-old is due to appear in court at a later date. A 31-year-old male and a 23-year-old female also arrested have been released pending reports.
13 March 2020
Council Buildings Closed To Public In Derry & Strabane
Derry City and Strabane District Council has taken the decision to close all council owned buildings to the public. The City of Derry Jazz Festival is also cancelled, along with a number of major events. The closures will take affect from 6pm today, Friday 13 March.